Thursday, May 4, 2017

IS SUCCESS THE WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO CREATIVITY?

Vincent Van Gogh wrote in April 1890 that it's almost always the case that success is the worst thing that can happen in a painter's life.

Personally, now that I am "old", I am not sure that the idea of success is what drives me to do art, unless it has to do with the Greek concept of arete, achieving one's best.  And to me that is a very personal thing.

I resonate with what Van Gogh wrote, as after I had a little show some years ago I was inspired to paint and I would think about a thing I started, "This will sell" -- and then it felt as if it was the worst thing I've ever done.  I was so discouraged.  It took me some time to get back to being myself and doing what I wanted and needed to do.

Somehow I think this is what Vincent meant as well.



COPYRIGHT: All paintings, pictures and essays in this blog are the property of Christine Zachary. Reproduction or retransmission of these materials in whole or in part, in any manner, without prior written consent, is a violation of copyright law.

No comments:

Post a Comment